Wednesday, September 13, 2023

About Good

 About Good


        I grew up with ‘Good’ as my last name. Recalling my high school days, one of my teachers (at the beginning of the school year) would ask me if I had lived up to my name. Each time I was irritated and embarrassed that he had singled me out. It was as though I was the only one who needed to answer that question. That in turn reminded me of times I had been disobedient and unkind to others.

Now contemplating that word, the meaning of good causes different thinking. David indicates in Psalm 37 that when our feet are planted on a foundation that is fixed on and guided by the Lord, we are right with God or good. When we believe in and accept salvation through Christ, our identity changes from world follower to Christ follower.

Being the child of God happens at salvation, and we commit to listen to the Lord by way of Scripture, meditation, prayer, and mature believers. Our focus is not to be on the world or its ways, but on the Lord and His intent for our life. And His desire for us was established at the beginning of time.

Verses 23 and 24 of this chapter are comforting. For when we are His children He delights in our steps while believing in and trusting Him - with belief being the first step.  Walking in agreement with Him he blesses us so that we are empowered through the Holy Spirit to move along with a desire to please Him above all else.

Even when we fail at being good, He sees us as His beloved child – good – holding on to us and helping us work through the steps that wounded our heart and soul. He never let’s go of His own and He ever helps us become spiritually mature with His guidance. How thankful I am that our Lord is aware of the failures and successes ahead of us. Grateful that He catches, rescues,  delivers, and helps us through this life as we keep in step under His watch and care.
by Joy Pedersen

Psalm 37:23-24 (AMP) 

  The steps of a [good and righteous] man [or woman] are directed and established by the Lord, and He delights in his way [and blesses his path]. When he falls, he will not be hurled down, because the Lord is the One who holds his hand and sustains him.


1 comment:

  1. With His help I find following Him possible day by day.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!